Ornamental Fence Design and Installation
The three main types of ornamental fencing
One of the easiest ways to increase the value of your home or business is to add an ornamental fence. When done right, an ornamental fence can give your property an air of grandeur that most people respond to. Not only do ornamental fences look great, but they also offer the property a surprising amount of security.
Since ornamental fencing is so diverse, you have a wide selection of different types to choose from depending on your need. The most popular types of ornamental fences tend to be:
Wrought Iron Fencing
Wrought iron fencing is a high end option but many find that it is worth the money. You will often see wrought iron fences in front of upscale homes and public buildings for several reasons. Wrought iron is:
- Very secure – Wrought iron cannot be cut through easily so your only choice is to climb over if you want to circumvent one. This is why many wrought iron fences have decorative but sharp post toppers. They may look fantastic but climbing over some of these artistic designs can be just as dangerous as climbing over barbed wire. A lot of times wrought iron fences will be combined with brick to give it an old world, sophisticated look but it also makes the fence that much more impenetrable.
- Extremely durable – When it comes to durability, wrought iron leaves other fencing materials like wood and vinyl in the dust. They hold up to damage that would destroy other fences and can last for years looking the same as the day they were installed.
- Decorative – The name “wrought” iron actually comes from the ability to shape it into any configuration you choose. Because of its malleable nature artists can create unique designs and eye-catching patterns not possible with other fences.
Wrought iron only has a couple of drawbacks but they can be a problem:
- Cost – The material is expensive and to install it, you need a professional that knows what they are doing. This gives it a higher price tag than other fences, especially if it was custom made.
- No privacy – Wrought iron fences have an open construction by design so they will not protect you from prying eyes like other fences can.
Aluminum fencing is very versatile and economical. It comes in many different design options and can make a beautiful ornamental fence. These fences are:
- Inexpensive – It’s a cost effective. Making an aluminum fence a great option for either a home or business.
- Low maintenance – Once you have an aluminum fence installed correctly, it can last for years without fading, rusting or rotting.
- Easy to install and repair – Since they are light weight, aluminum fences can be put up quickly and repaired easily even if you have to do it on your own.
Aluminum fencing does have a few important weaknesses to consider:
- They are not very strong so they can’t bear up under weight and damage like steel and wrought iron can.
- They tend to dent easily because aluminum is softer than other metals.
Steel fences share many of the benefits of wrought iron and aluminum fences without their drawbacks. Steel fences can give you almost the same look as wrought iron without the hefty price but it is far stronger and more durable than aluminum, making it great for additional security.
Steel fencing is:
- Extremely strong – These fences can stand up to harsh weather and years of abuse just as well as wrought iron can.
- Very versatile – They come in all sorts of styles and you can dramatically change the look of your fence by choosing from the wide assortment of post caps, finials, scrolls and rings.
- Long lasting – These fences are so durable and strong that many companies offer lifetime warranties on them.
The only real drawback to using a Steel Fence is:
- They are prone to rust – Even though they have been chemically treated to resist rust, it will happen over time. So, you need to paint and maintain these fences to avoid that.
- Price – While these fences are nowhere near as expensive as wrought iron, they are not as economical as aluminum.
From Our Clients