Deciding on the right fence often takes more deliberation than you might expect. It is a design decision because you want it to blend seamlessly with your home but it also serves a specific function. A privacy fence may look great but you would never want one around your pool and you wouldn’t want to try and block your favorite sunbathing spot from view with a pool fence.
So before deciding on which fence you want, you have to figure out your reasons for needing one:
- Are you trying to block people’s view of something, like your trash cans?
- Do you want some privacy from your neighbors?
- Are you trying to make your pool area safe?
- Will your fence be purely ornamental?
- Do you need to keep your kids and pets safely in your backyard?
- Are you trying to improve your home security in general?
Once you have decided on why you need your fence then you are halfway there. From here a brief discussion with a fence installation expert would probably be enough to find the perfect fence. Fencing companies are knowledgeably about every type of fence and can quickly tell you which ones fit you the best.
If you plan on doing the installation yourself then you will have to answer three more questions:
- What style is your home? Fence types just naturally go better with some homes than with others. For instance, a chain link fence might work with a ranch style home but it wouldn’t look that good. A wooden fence can serve many of the same functions and it looks fantastic with that style of home.
- How much work do you want to put into maintaining it? As mentioned above, wooden fences look great with many types of homes but they take the most effort to maintain. A vinyl fence can be made to look similar to wood and they take almost no maintenance.
- What is your personal preference? Sometimes it just comes down to what you like better. Even if the fence isn’t perfect for your situation, if you like it and it works for you then go with it.
Calling one of our expert contractors at Fenceworks of Georgia could help you to decide what style of fence would best suit your home. Contact us today for a free quote!