Wooden fences are one of the most common types of fencing in neighborhoods and subdivisions. They add a lot to the look of your home but being wood, they are susceptible to rot and deterioration. With a few materials, you can try to make repairs on your wooden fence yourself but if the damage is extensive, you may need to call in an Atlanta Fence Company.
Wooden Fences can be divided into two parts, the rails and the fencing sections. In this part, we will be talking about the rails, which are the horizontal boards in Wooden Fences. Check your rails to gauge the extent of the damage. If the damage is not too bad then you can use pieces of 2×4 to make repairs. If the damage is extensive then you may need to use galvanized steel T braces for the extra durability or have an Atlanta Fence Company replace them entirely.
If you are using 2×4, follow these 3 steps:
- Cover the affected area and the 2×4 with wood preservative. Coat it heavily to keep the rot from spreading outward.
- Make sure the rail on your wooden fence is level, and then fit a 2×4 tightly underneath it and against the post. Using galvanized nails, secure the 2×4 to the rail and the post.
- You should caulk the spaces around the 2×4 to keep out as much moisture as possible.
If you will be using a galvanized steel T brace, follow these 4 steps:
- Level your rail and hold the T brace in position. Then drill pilot holes into the post and the rail.
- Using galvanized screws, secure the T brace into position.
- Use caulk to fill any spaces and pay special attention to the joint.
- To help camouflage the brace, you may want to paint it in a matching color.